What’s this about?
While we cannot provide legal advice, we want to provide an interpretation of how this may affect you. If you believe you may be affected, you should consult with your own attorney. This is simply a summary of some of the points with context as to how they relate to your service with OutboundEngine.
What you need to know:
As you know, Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has passed legislation that will take affect July 1st. According to Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL) there are a few points of compliance you need to adhere to. Here are the bullet points:
• You need consent from your email recipients to send them email marketing messages.
• You need to clearly identify yourself providing name, mailing address, phone number, and email address or website
• All of your emails need to include a way for the recipients to easily opt out or unsubscribe. And unsubscriptions need to be removed within 10 business days.
The good news:
OutboundEngine already provides ways for you to be fully compliant with these provisions:
• When you provide OutboundEngine with your email contact lists, you declare that those email
addresses were obtained with consent. Consent can be implied in a few ways:
oYou have an existing business relationship with that contact
oThe recipient gave you their email address and did not request to be opted out from your
email distribution list
oYou are emailing to follow up on a referral from an existing business partner/colleague or
family member of theirs
• We brand all emails that we send on your behalf as you and identify you with your own email
address and contact information
• We provide an easy way for all recipients to unsubscribe and when that feature is acted on, we
Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
For any legal advice, please consult your attorney. And for additional information, please consult the official CRTC Government Article here: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/casl-lcap.htm
For more information on these requirements, you can download the PDF file below.